What Happens After Filing A Slip And Fall Injury Claim?
After you’ve been in a slip and fall accident, and you’ve filed your claim, you may be wondering what the next steps of the process will be. With the assistance of a Florida personal injury lawyer, the entire process of your claim or lawsuit will be made transparent to you, and you’ll be kept in the know with each passing step of the process. Experiencing an injury after a slip and fall is stressful enough, and adding the stress of the unknown into the equation will often simply make the situation worse.
The Demand Package
After the claim has been filed following a slip and fall, the typical first step of the process is the demand package crafted by the injured party’s attorney. This demand package will include:
• The circumstances of the accident – The circumstances of the accident will include all of the details surrounding the slip and fall accident and just how it took place. The hazard that caused the accident, how the fall occurred, and what was going on before the fall will all be covered in the details of the circumstances.
• The injuries – The injuries sustained after the slip and fall accident occurred will follow the circumstances.
• Summary of medical treatment – Within the summary of medical treatment both immediate medical treatment and any ongoing needed treatment will both be outlined.
• List of medical bills – The list of medical bills will consist of all medical bills and costs associated with the accident. Along with this list will also be corresponding copies of medical bills incurred.
• The monetary demand – The monetary demand portion of the claim will cover all of the damages being sought in order to cover the cost of the slip and fall. This monetary demand may include not only the immediate costs, like medical bills, but also lost work wages if the accident stopped the injured party from working.
After the demand package is created and delivered to the insurance claims adjuster, the adjuster will then offer a certain amount in order to settle the claim out of court. In some cases the adjuster will offer the full amount, or close to the full amount, demanded and the claim will be settled easily. In many other cases, however, the insurance company will try to offer much less or try to get out of liability for the claim altogether.
Insurance companies may allege that the injured party’s own actions contributed to the fall in order to get out of paying all or a large portion of the monetary demand. Some contributions they may site are the use of worn or unsafe footwear, the injured party not looking where they’re going, or even that the property owner notified visitors of the hazard with some sort of sign or other notice.
Filing A Lawsuit
If the insurance company denies the claim or a settlement cannot be met, it will then be time to file a lawsuit in order to receive compensation outside of a settlement situation. After a lawsuit is filed, this doesn’t guarantee a trip to court, often negotiations will continue and a settlement can still be reached.
If your slip and fall lawsuit does go to court, representation by your Florida personal injury attorney will make a huge difference in your case. By opting for an experienced and skilled Florida personal injury attorney, you’re providing yourself your best chance to receive the settlement you need.