Get Justice
For Your Injuries
Auto Accidents - Personal Injury
Click To Call: 855-577-7711

Law Firm Blog

Personal Injury Lawyers Shapiro Goldman Babboni & Walsh

Personal Injury, Auto Accidents & Consumer Alerts Blog

How To Speak With The Police After A Car Accident

How To Speak With The Police After A Car AccidentOne of the most common mistakes we see after car accidents is victims not filing a police report. After a small fender bender or scrape, many people just think exchanging insurance information is enough to stay protected. However, you should always contact the police to file a report no matter how small the accident. A police report is one of the best pieces of evidence after a car wreck. Often times, especially in cases of head, neck, and spinal injuries, people don’t realize how severe their injuries are until well after the accident. Then when they need to file a claim, that claim can be denied because there is no formal report of the accident.

So if you get into a car accident, it’s wise to talk to the police. Talking to the police can be intimidating and you may be worried about incriminating yourself accidentally, so we’ve put together a guide to help:

Call The Police Immediately After An Accident

The first step is to call the police immediately following an accident, even if there are no obvious injuries or property damage. The sooner the police arrive, the more accurate their report will be about the accident. Call 911 immediately following the crash.

What The Police Will Collect

Police reports are very straightforward. When they arrive on the scene they will collect the following information:

● Date and time of the accident
● Personal information of the parties involved
● Statements from the drivers
● Statements from any witnesses
● Information about the vehicles involved in the accident
● Description of the road and any other environmental issues
● Any video or surveillance equipment that may have documented the accident
● Injuries

Police will also diagram the accident and conduct a very brief investigation into how the accident happened.

What To Say During Your Interview

When you speak to the police to give your statement, the best thing you can do to protect yourself is stick to the facts. Do not get emotional or pass blame or admit fault. Typically, police officers will not give an opinion on fault when filing their report. So it’s best to just simply describe the incident to the best of your recollection without offering anything that can guide their opinion. Describe what you were doing, what the other driver was doing, and how the accident happened. When you are done, make sure to get the information and badge numbers of the responding officers. That way if you remember any details after the accident, you can follow up with more information.

Get A Copy Of Your Police Report

After the accident, you’ll want to get a copy of your police report. Normally you can get a copy within ten days after the accident. Carefully review the report and make sure all the details are correct. If you see any mistakes or incomplete information, you can request to have the report reviewed. Even though police reports are not admissible in court, insurance companies often use them to determine claim settlements.

What To Do If You Didn’t File A Police Report

Sometimes police cannot respond to every accident and you don’t get to file a report on site. In these cases, you will still want to contact the police and file your own report. If you are at the scene of the accident, here are some things to collect:

● Collect the information listed above that the police officer would collect
● Pictures of the accident, cars, and injuries
● Ask witnesses if you can record their statements on your phone
● Look for any video surveillance equipment nearby and ask if they can store the footage for reference

This information can help police create an accurate accident report. 
If you weren’t able to file a police report and are now having your claim denied, you still have options to get a fair settlement. At Shapiro, Goldman, Babboni, Fernandez, and Walsh our attorneys can help. We have over a century of combined experience helping car accident victims no matter the circumstances. Give us a call today for a free consultation to learn more!

For quick access to Sarasota / Manatee area law enforcement:

Sarasota Police

Florida Highway Patrol -  Sarasota County

Florida Highway Patrol - Manatee County

Attorney Stephen Fernandez

Get Help For Accident Injuries

Personal injury lawyer Bernard F. Walsh Hire Success One Of The Largest Motorcycle Accident Recoveries In Florida
Why Choose Our Firm?
  • Millions Of Dollars Recovered
  • For Our Clients Every Year
  • Over 100 Years Injury Law Experience
  • The Resources and Experience To Take A Case To Trial
  • Over 10,000 Accident Cases Settled
  • A Highly Trained Team Of Legal And Technical Professionals

Client Reviews

"Excellent experience with this firm. Attorney Goldman was very active and involved with my case and the results were better than I expected."

Client, Sarasota

"Bernard exceeded my expectations. He successfully represented me when I had been devastatingly injured. This attorney, along with his excellent staff, diligently, skillfully, and successfully represented me, and continues to do so."

Client, Bradenton

"The level of attentiveness, thoroughness, effort and care has been the same as if my case were a multi-million dollar case. David Shapiro’s professionalism and diligence is to be commended."

Client, Sarasota

"I endorse Attorney Michael Babboni. He is a highly skilled attorney that is well respected in the legal community."

Attorney, St. Petersurg
Tell Us About Your Case No Fees Unless We Recover Money On Your Behalf
Required. Send Now
privacy policy


Contact Shapiro Goldman Babboni Fernandez & Walsh ×
  • Sarasota
  • Toll-Free: 800-954-4014
  • Office: 941-954-4000
  • Bradenton
  • Toll-Free: 855-577-7711
  • Office:941-752-7200
Offices Across Southwest Florida